Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Where I'm From Poem

I am from open grasslands, from canned goods, and home cooked meals.

I am from the suburban house with a big white porch and golden door.

I am from the perseverance within the pedals of the unmistakable flower, the hydrangea.

I am from church services on Sunday mornings and a room full of love from Maines,  Townsends, and Nagys.

I am from the tradition of Dicarlo’s Pizza on Saturdays and a line of practical jokers.

From hearing “Time heals all” from momma and nana’s infamous line,“Because I said so…”

I am from a Presbyterian church downtown on Main Street.

I'm from Steubenville, Ohio, from Germany, and from Hungary, who eats papa’s famous Hungarian Stuffed Peppers for mom’s birthday dinner and German Chocolate Cake for dessert.

From the Christmas Eve gatherings where Uncle Rob-Rob wore his patched up flannel, the day I graduated high school, and the many cheerleading competitions I competed in, mom prepared me for, and dad supported me in.


I am from family trips to exciting theme parks in the summer and the beautiful Snowshoe Mountains in the winter. Yet, I’m just as content snuggled up with my family in the comfort of my own home. I am from a family who protects me and supports me. I am from a family where we remain faithful and true to one another and to God. I am from a family of fighters who have found beauty and strength in even the most troublesome times.

No comments:

Post a Comment