Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Double Journal Entry #5


Reverent listening is difficult to define because it is an abstract concept. Just as I listen to my students’ feelings, ideas, and struggles, the students play a vital role in reciprocating such actions. Through modeling, everyone plays a crucial role in the classroom. When everyone feels valued and listened to, the classroom becomes a safe environment filled with respect.

Students need to be heard, and it’s the teacher’s role to listen to the students; their interests and expectations are ultimately what affect the content being taught. The ways in which students respond to the instruction determines the strategies and methods needed to be incorporated to enhance motivation in the classroom. To establish a culturally responsive classroom, students need to feel understood and cared for while equally encouraged and challenged. If we can build up the students in an environment where this occurs, they will be more responsive in terms of increase of knowledge.

Some schools have what is known as a “laundry list of valued ethics” –which are character traits expected amongst faculty and students. In a recent field experience, I learned that core value to be obtained and executed by the students was Respect. Respecting means listening to one another, and although the students demonstrated this quite well, the faculty did not (at least in my opinion). I was struggling to convey my scheduling conflict to two faculty members who did not have the slightest concern with what it was I saying. They did not demonstrate culturally responsive behavior, as they ignored my concern and what it was I was trying to say.

It may be sad to say, but the teacher who I had who exhibited the traits of a reverent listener did not come along until my college career. While in his classroom, we all were respectful of him, listening carefully to what he had to say and never interrupting.  He would incorporate discussions into his lesson where he would want our feedback or for us to share a personal experience relevant to the topic. I know for me, he even used to (and still does) confront me outside of the classroom to just “check up on things”, and ever since dad has been diagnosed with cancer, this teacher still tracks me down to see how my dad is doing/feeling. He goes above and beyond to make sure I have the resources and support I need in terms of academics and in aspects of my personal life. He really does demonstrate reverent listening, and he gains it back in return.

Schools can become toxic towards reverent listening. When education leaders pursue their own goals and ignore the aspirations of others a toxic towards reverent listening is created. This toxic can affect those leaders’ peers as well as their students.

“Respect is given, not earned.” This quote fits my education philosophy because respect must be delivered in a manner where it is given and received. You cannot just wait around for someone to “earn” your respect; it can only be reciprocated when given.

The article quotes various activities, but one activity in particular that I hope to incorporate into my future classroom is writer’s workshop. Writer’s workshop is popular amongst teachers because it allows the students time to write and illustrate their own stories, which can even be presented to the class afterwards. It displays aspects of culturally responsive teaching as well as inclusive teaching and reverent listening.







Sources Rud, A.G. & Garrison, J. (2010). Reverence and Listening in Teaching and Leading. Teacher College Record 112 (11) 2777-2792. evanguilder. (Producer). (2012). Kindergarten writing workshop author chair 3 . [Web Video]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPRM2ZXyrS0

No comments:

Post a Comment